[Dialogue] Fw: NAACP message

Jim Baumbach wtw0bl at new.rr.com
Thu Aug 16 09:59:55 PDT 2012

Thanks Janice for this link.  Alice and I have been part and supporters
of our respective women's and men's groups in a very conservative
Presbyterian church.  Of course within, there are voices for justice
especially for the disenfranchised in the congregation but they often
are ones that advocate volunteer work for St Joe's Pantry, the Housing
Partnership, Emergency Shelter and many other local organizations that
help the poor in Appleton.  But when it comes to demonizing the poor for
their dependence on food stamps and other community programs, it seems
that the same people show extreme prejudice toward them because they are
unable to "pull themselves up by their bootstraps."  When I listened to
Rev. Barber speak at the Plenary Session of the NAACP I was moved by his
enthusiasm and courage to call out the stages of societal shifts that
many bled and died for.  Yet today, in the relative safety of overcoming
racial and class biases our church and probably many others are afraid
to speak out against the current problems of our society.  Voter
suppression is just one of those issues we are confronted with in our
nation's heritage.

Of course there are many, many more situations throughout the world
where injustice and human rights violations as well as unnecessary wars
are occurring.

I hope, we, as a nation can once again move to a more moral
understanding of people and stop plundering the poor of other nations.

Jim Baumbach