[Dialogue] Jeju Island

LAURELCG at aol.com LAURELCG at aol.com
Tue Aug 21 09:08:45 PDT 2012

Thought you all would want to know.
Jann McGuire

____________________________________
 From: info at rootsaction.org
To: laurelcg at aol.com
Sent: 8/21/2012 8:43:59  A.M. Pacific Daylight Time
Subj: Today We Save an Island

_Jeju  Island is under attack. "Touch not one stone,  not one flower," is
its residents' battle cry.  Let's  help!_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=8DdtyyDHB6n9Cy5ygCsq3qGJFlb5Mdkz)

(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=0IE+kLz2CqvLgvIfi7fjr6GJFlb5Mdkz)

(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=oCVJITYp223q++thAzuwXaGJFlb5Mdkz)
_ Share this action on Facebook_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=UFBDUSOM4AAVapxc5dwLqaGJFlb5Mdkz)
_ Share this action on  Twitter_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=CJghkhYja5xq5b5VXjpI0KGJFlb5Mdkz)
A  coordinated international campaign this week will try to  save South
Korea's beautiful Jeju Island from  destruction.  We have the chance to
participate, and in  so doing to help form a badly needed partnership between the
environmental and antiwar movements.

The World  Conservation Congress 2012 is being held on Jeju Island in  two
weeks -- while just four miles away, in the island's  Gangjeong Village,
construction is beginning on a massive  new naval base to be used by the U.S.
Dredging of the  seabed and coral has already begun.

_Help  put a stop to it now._
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=KFkiaZGhDdQwyRCMJ8XS2aGJFlb5Mdkz)

The extraordinary  biological diversity, unique volcanic topography, and
the  culture of Jeju Island attract many tourists. The Sea of  Gangjeong is a
national cultural treasure adjacent to a  UNESCO biosphere reserve. Only 114
Indo-Pacific bottlenose  dolphins remain, and they live here -- one of many
species  threatened by base construction. The damage will be  devastating.

But Samsung, the primary contractor  for base construction, is sponsoring
the World Conservation  Congress (WCC), which is pretending all is  well.

_Let  them know we aren't fooled. Demand that Samsung halt  construction
and the WCC oppose the  base._
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=5khY79euWQPQXguz1pROQaGJFlb5Mdkz)

94% of the residents of Jeju Island  have voted against construction of the
base.

If  the base is constructed, it will host nuclear-powered  submarines and
aircraft carriers, as well as Aegis  missile-carrying warships. U.S.
taxpayers will pay the  cost of the Obama administration "pivot" into the
Asia-Pacific, while Jeju Islanders pay with a damaged  home. Ultimately, the cost to
the earth and the risk of  war will belong to all of us.

Villagers have been  arrested during nonviolent protests. Police and
construction  workers have assaulted elderly members of the community, who
represent a large portion of the activists.  Raising  our voices in solidarity is
the least we can  do.

_"Touch  not one stone, not one flower."_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=MIL8tvbKtyT97cAQGi6Y26GJFlb5Mdkz)

Please  forward this email widely to like-minded  friends.

--The RootsAction team

P.S. Our small  staff is supported by contributions from people like you;
_your  donations are greatly appreciated_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=xrDKWK6OEUWcjugf/gBHpKGJFlb5Mdkz) .

P.P.S.  RootsAction is an independent online force endorsed by Jim
Hightower, Barbara Ehrenreich, Cornel West, Daniel Ellsberg,  Glenn Greenwald,
Naomi Klein, Bill Fletcher Jr., Laura  Flanders, former U.S. Senator James
Abourezk, Coleen Rowley,  and many others.

Allies:_
Save Jeju Island_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=H+pJg7XTw6nt43SL1FAQA6GJFlb5Mdkz)
_Jeju  Island, South Korea_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=qg8r0JBfPtDIh7cBGaZoLHXZnb9TTaGE)
_Global Network Against Weapons and Nuclear  Power in Space_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=PXe1SpF/Ll0HfjuyZSfERaGJFlb5Mdkz)
Veterans For Peace
_Voices for Creative Nonviolence_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=/4bEV7ofIjxQ+wqb1DaZN3XZnb9TTaGE)
_Fellowship of Reconciliation_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=JGLl1hLkR411LNY118vmT6GJFlb5Mdkz)
_Environmentalists Against War_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=XAO4ImWUW1sgY9eI0+nehXXZnb9TTaGE)
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=fomRPRhJHwrvB+inUYuc46GJFlb5Mdkz)
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=JGLl1hLkR434MsHeyW7E8KGJFlb5Mdkz)
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=bAlBgSTH+N/BMTmmLo6k3HXZnb9
TTaGE)
_Click  here_
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=tv1LF9EkEvNRMVkX9tiy66GJFlb5Mdkz)  to unsubscribe and stop ALL email from
RootsAction.
To  modify your email communication preferences or update your  personal
profile, visit your subscription management page at:
_http://hq-salsa.wiredforchange.com/o/6503/profile/  _
(http://salsa.wiredforchange.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=s3cYCxqk4QJSm3tCTsLIt6GJFlb5Mdkz)

 (http://www.salsalabs.com/?email)